Shrimp & Bread Bowls

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shrimp & Bread Bowls

Post  magdalaina on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Night and I go to this restaurant called The Fish Company in Los Alamitos, Ca for special occasions....like every 6 mos or longer......and I always order something called green lipped mussels as an appetizer~I get it as my main course Very Happy. For non seafood lovers this would definitely not appeal to you but it was something I have a love for because it can be made spicy with a rich broth of jalapenos and lots of mussels. They also have fresh baked sourdough loafs that they serve with every meal and I always save some to soak in the broth and eat. So, one day I was watching Rachel Ray and she made this dish that was similar and I decided to try it. I didn't make it identically to hers, added some, took some away, but it was sooo good. Poor toll and gigs had to listen to us go on about it....I just hope you find it as delicious as we did. Here's the recipe....

1 loaf of chewy bread ~ artisan loafs that you find in the bakery section of your grocery store, I bought a loaf of garlic artisan bread that had not been sliced. Torn into about 3 inch pieces ~ about a 1/2 of the loaf for the two of us.
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons anchovy paste ~ couldn't find this for the life of me and night was all up in arms about how he hated anchovies so I omitted it....I'll sneak it in at another time Very Happy
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined - I used one pound, that seemed more than enough and it was.
6 cloves garlic, rough chopped ~ I used about 9 cloves because night says you can never have enough garlic....spoken like the Italian he is:D
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper ~ I used 2 1/2 sliced jalapenos with a couple of dashes of red pepper ~ the spicier the better for me and night.
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup dry white wine ~ I used chicken broth because I forgot I had the wine on hand.
1 cup seafood stock, clam juice or chicken broth ~ used clam juice which is not as fishy as it sounds and made a difference I think.
3 tablespoons Capers
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons cold butter
parsley - fresh or dried ~ I used dried about 2 1/2 tablespoons. Use a generous handful if using fresh.

Preheat oven to 375*. Arrange bread on baking sheet and toast until crusty all over, about 10 mins.

Heat 1/4 of the olive oil over med to high heat. Add anchovy paste and stir. Then add the shrimp and cook 1-2 mins. Add the garlic, red pepper, salt, pepper and capers, cook for another 3-4 mins more. Add wine and reduce a minute. Add stock and heat through. Then add the lemon juice, butter and parsley, stir for another min.

Place bread into bowls and drizzle the remaining olive oil on it, top with shrimp and pan juices.

Ok that's her recipe. After eating it and loving the flavors and heat intensity of the broth some things kind of popped up for me. I thought the shrimp would be overcooked by the time the recipe was complete. It wasn't and I was surprised, shrimp only takes about 3 mins tops and over cooking it usually makes it chewy.

When I was pouring the pan juices over the bread. I felt like it wasn't enough. I'm sure she didn't intend for this to be a soup so much but the best part of this is dunking the bread in and eating it that way so I vote more broth. I actually did not start the shrimp right away and I added a couple of things. I put olive oil in the pan and let it heat up, adding about 1/2 cup red onion to it first then the garlic and my sliced jalapenos, cooked those for about 3 mins ~ this allows the jalapeno to gain some heat. Then I added the shrimp followed by the rest of her recipe. I definitely will make it again but I will make the broth separately until the lemon juice step. I'm going to possibly double to triple the broth portion so that there's enough for everyone to have seconds if they choose. I'm also thinking that the crusty bread is great to place the pan juices on but would really like to have some soft, chewy pieces to dunk into the juices, too. I'm even thinking a few teaspoons of cilantro would really bring some good flavor here. I'm not going to cook the shrimp until the broth has had a chance to simmer for about 20 mins. I'm going to saute it in a small amount of olive oil and add the capers to that mixture with salt and pepper. Then add the butter, parsley and lemon juice, to the shrimp and last add the broth, simmer for a couple of mins and serve. Let me know if you try this, would like to know what you think Very Happy

magdalaina

Rep : 11453

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top